A monogram is a drawing of one or more letters, usually initials, showing that a thing belongs to a certain person, family, or organization. Usually, monograms are embroidered on fabric, and they not only indicate the owner but also serve as an elegant decorative touch.
How to embroider your monogram on a sewing machine or embroidery machine
1. Prepare a sewing or embroidery machine. Turn the machine on and install it so that you have enough space to move the product freely. Install the program for your desired monogram size and shape.
- If you want to embroider a monogram on your sewing machine, it must have an embroidery function. Many modern models have built-in electronics that allow you to embroider preset motifs that often include monograms.
Choose a pattern and its size by following the instructions for your sewing machine.
- Don’t forget to thread the sewing machine. The color thread should match the color of the fabric to which you want to apply the monogram.
2. Decide where to place the monogram. Mark the center of the place where you want to embroider the monogram with tailor chalk or pencil to transfer the pattern to the fabric.
3. Put the fabric into the hoop for machine embroidery. You need to put a stabilizer under the fabric. A piece of stabilizing material should be a little larger than the size of the hoop and fully cover the fabric. The stabilizer will strengthen the fabric for machine embroidery and prevent tying up.
- Don’t worry: when the monogram is sewn, the stabilizer can be cut, torn away, or removed with water (depending on the type).
4. Set your hoop in place and start the machine. Follow the instructions for your machine. When the hoops are in place, start the embroidery program and watch the machine do all the work!
- Keep your hands and other objects away from the machine when it is running! The hoop with the cloth fixed in it should move freely.
Our top list of the best monogramming sewing machines
1. Brother PE800
Do you want to create beautiful monograms? Are you new to machine embroidering? Brother PE 800 is what you need.
You can embroider any design you like on your clothes with the Brother PE800 sewing machine. It has not only a built-in memory but also a USB port that you can use to store an unlimited number of sewing designs.
The embroidery field is quite large and allows you to sew larger designs and alphabets. What’s more, you can even combine the designs together to create entirely new and unique designs.
With the bright LCD touch screen display, you can view and edit all your designs before embroidery. Any high-end sewing machine should have this feature.
Brother PE800 features:
- Includes 138 built-in designs
- 11 font styles perfect for monogramming and lettering
- Extensive design editing – rotate, mirror-image, increase and decrease the size of your designs
- Bright LCD touch screen display
- USB port
- 5″ x 7″ embroidery field perfect for stitching larger designs and lettering
- Step-by-step tutorials
Create your own unique and beautiful monograms with Brother PE800! It has all the functions to create perfect monograms.
2. Brother SE600
The Brother SE600 sewing machine is an impressive model that offers more ways to vary your work.
This computerized machine comes with a large field for embroidery, which increases the efficiency you would normally expect from such a machine. It also comes with a hoop, foot control, and embroidery.
Brother SE600 has a free arm design that makes sewing monograms on cuffs, sleeves, jeans, and any circular projects much easier.
With the touch screen on the machine, you can edit your designs and view them before embroidery. Interestingly, you can also store up to 103 embroidery designs in the machine’s internal memory, and the USB port can be used to store more data if needed.
Brother SE600 features:
- 80 built-in designs including 6 embroidery lettering fonts
- LCD color touchscreen
- Automatic needle threader
- Drop-in top bobbin
- 4″ x 4″ hoop
- 7 sewing feet including the one for monogramming.
Those wishing to make a pleasant surprise, raise the mood embroidery initials on the scarf, on a robe, a plaid, or other items will help to cope with the task. Brother SE600 will help you with this.
3. SINGER 9960
Singer 9960 is one of the best sewing machines in this class for the price! It’s a dream come true for anyone interested in sewing or monogramming!
Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 includes a huge set of sewing stitches, 12 types of loops, and 4 font variants, which makes it possible to realize creative fantasies in clothes making.
The horizontal hook provides quality and comfortable sewing. Electronic control, automatic adjustments, automatic needle threader, and many other functions make this machine perfect with constant quality, which has been tested for years.
SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 features:
- 600 built-in stitches including 5 Alphanumeric Fonts
- Adjustable stitch width
- Adjustment of stitch length
- Error warning system
- The built-in needle threader
- The maximum sewing speed of 850 stitches-per-minute
- A variety of presser feet are included
- LED lighting
- Extension Table
- Heavy Duty Metal Frame
Sewing machine Singer QS 9960 is a stunning multifunctional model of the electronic type, which advantages will certainly appreciate both professional users and beginners seamstresses with a basic level of knowledge about sewing.
Note: You can’t add any monogramming to it. BUT… you can do any free motion monogramming. You will have to use the “embroidery foot” and when feed dogs are lowered, you will have to guide the fabric manually to create the monogramming design.
4. Brother PE550D
Brother PE550D is a great budget option for a beginner in machine embroidering. On this machine, embroidery is free, beautiful, and very stylish.
Please note that this is just an embroidery machine and it does not have any traditional sewing functions.
Brother PE550D comes with amazing Disney designs. Also, it offers 9 fonts for monogramming and personalization.
Brother PE550D comes with a 4″ x 4″ embroidery field, an embroidery foot, and built-in alignment tools. It features a large LCD color touchscreen display so that you can see your designs and see them in alternate colors if you wish, before stitching it out.
Brother PE550D features:
- 125 built-in decorative designs
- Adjusting the built-in lettering fonts
- USB port
- The automatic needle threader
If you or your kids love all these Disney things, Brother PE550D embroidery machine will bring the magic of Disney to your embroidery projects. And if it’s a gift, the monogram will make it even more valuable.
5. Brother SE1900
With Brother SE1900 computerized sewing and embroidery machine you get the best of both worlds – sewing and embroidery. It’s a versatile and easy-to-use machine that works perfectly with most modern tasks.
With a large touch screen LCD display, you can view and edit your design before embroidery, eliminating even the smallest errors in your designs.
This machine is perfect for monogramming. Its large embroidery field ensures that you can easily create large patterns, and at least 138 built-in designs including 11 fonts ensure that you always have complete control over your embroidery tasks.
Brother SE1900 features:
- 240 built-in sewing stitches
- 138 built-in designs with 11 fonts
- 5″ x 7″ hoop
- Large LCD touchscreen display
- USB port
Now anyone can embroider the monogram with Brother SE1900. It will be easy for you to create and personalize your creations with this universal model.
6. Brother PE535
Another Brother brand representative that we recommend. Brother PE535 is known for its availability and reliability. Perfect for beginners and for experts as well. The machine has many features for embroidery and is good for monogram embroidery.
It has 80 designs as well as 9 fonts. The machine is also equipped with a large LCD color touchscreen, which allows you to preview and edit your designs before you can sew them.
Brother PE535 features:
- 4″ x 4″ hoop
- 3.2″ LCD color touchscreen
- USB port
Each person is unique and monograms perfectly emphasize individuality, give a special value to an ordinary object. So, you can personalize gifts for your loved ones by turning them into unique items. And Brother PE535 will help you do that.
7. Janome Memory Craft 500E
Memory Craft 500E offers a host of opportunities for creative expression. With a larger work surface, you can embroider even on the largest projects. Janome Memory Craft 500e can embroider designs up to 7.9×11 inches.
At the same time, the machine has an affordable price for sewing machines of this class. Previously, this size of embroidery could only be achieved with the purchase of quite expensive sewing and embroidery machines.
A direct connection to a computer allows you to quickly transfer embroidery design to the machine. You can also transfer designs via USB flash. The standard equipment includes an extension table and a wide range of hoops.
The Janome MC 500E is equipped with a large color screen, a new convenient needle threader, LED backlighting and has good capabilities for positioning and editing designs. An interesting feature of this model is that the manufacturer has provided the possibility to grease a sewing machine without recourse to service.
Janome Memory Craft 500E:
- Embroidery operations:
embroidery designs – 160
embroidery alphabets – 6 types
2 and 3 letter monogramming – 8 types
decorative stitches – 52
- Full-color LCD touchscreen display
- The speed of embroidery is 860 stitches-per-minute.
- USB port
- Direct connection to PC
The understandable interface of the Janome Memory Craft 500E embroidery machine is as pleasant as possible. The sewing advisor option will help even beginners to quickly learn how to operate the machine.
Automation of basic functions – threading and trimming, editing and positioning of elements, control of thread tension and breakage – combined with high speed will be appreciated by experienced users.
The horizontal rotary hook provides comfortable bottom thread filling, silent operation without vibration. The model is designed to work with all types of fabrics, from super light to super heavy.
Janome Memory Craft 500E embroidery machine is one of the best offers of the famous brand in its price class, which guarantees high-quality performance with ease of operation. With Janome 500E, it’s easy to personalize, embellish and monogram home décor items, garments, and accessories.
- Monograms can be embroidered on almost any textile product – shawls, plain shirts, bags made of fabric. The main thing is that this item will fit under the foot of a sewing or embroidery machine.
- The monogram can be embroidered on a gift for a loved one, to make it even more special.